Sunday, December 19, 2010

’Twas the Night Before Christmas

by Mary Marcdante

Two Decembers ago, my dad called wanting to know what I wanted for Christmas. I mentioned a particular book and then interrupted myself and said, “No, what I’d really like is for you to put ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas on audiotape.”

There was this long pause and then Dad said with familiar stern emphasis in his voice, “Oh for Heaven’s sake, Mary. What in Sam Hill do you want that for? You’re forty years old!”

I paused, feeling embarrassed yet determined, “Dad, I remember how good it felt when you used to cuddle us all up next to you on the couch when we were little and read ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. I can still remember how strong your voice was, how safe I felt and how well you acted out all the different sounds. I’d really appreciate your doing this, since I live 2,500 miles away and I’m not coming home for Christmas. It would be nice to have you with me.”

Dad said with a little more softness but still incredulously, “You mean you want me to read just like I did when you were kids, with all the bells and whistles and everything?!”

“Yaaaaaah, just like that,” I said.

Again, he paused a long time and then said, “I’ll get you the book.”

I heard the clarity of his decision in his voice and resignedly said, “Okay. Talk to you on Christmas.” We said our “I love yous” and hung up. I felt bad but tried to understand. I assumed it was too much sentimentalism for a seventy six year old bear, and that in his mind it was a foolish request for an adult to ask. Maybe. Maybe not. All I knew was that each time I talked to Dad his voice sounded more tired, and I was beginning to accept that it was no longer if, but when, the day would come that I wouldn’t hear it anymore.

On Christmas Eve day, a small, brown, heavily recycled padded envelope with lots of staples and tape all over it arrived. My name and address were written out in my dad’s memorable architect’s lettering with thick black magic marker. Inside was a tape, with a handwritten label, “’Twas the Night b4 Christmas.”

I popped the tape in my recorder and heard my father’s words come roaring out. “’Twas the niiiiiiiiiiiiiight before Christmas when allllllllllllllllllllllllll through the howwwwwwse,” just like when we were children! When he finished, he went on to say, “And now I’m going to read from The Little Engine That Could. I guess Dad had another message in mind when he included one of our favorite childhood bedtime stories. It was the same story we read to my mom when she was dying of cancer three years ago.

He continued with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing “Silent Night,” our family’s favorite Christmas Eve song we sang together before bedtime. And then “Oh Come All Ye Faithful” . . . song after song until the tape ran out. I went to sleep safe and sound Christmas Eve, thanking God for giving me another Christmas miracle with my dad.

The following May, Dad passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. No more phone calls every Sunday morning, no more phone calls asking me, “What was the Gospel about today, Mary?” no more “I love yous.” But his voice lives on . . . and continues to remind me that I can do what I put my mind to and that I can stretch myself emotionally for someone else, even when it’s difficult. That’s the power of love.

For Christmas this year I sent my sisters and brother and their children a copy of the tape, which they weren’t expecting. My youngest sister called and left a tearful message on my machine that said, “Mary, I just got the tape. Did you know that on the tape he said it was December 19. That’s today! When I put the tape on while I was in the living room, Holden (her two and one half year old son) came running out from the kitchen full steam, yelling at the top of his lungs, ‘Grampa’s here, Grampa’s here.’ You should have seen him, Mary, looking all around for Dad. Dad was here.”

His voice lives on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word. This is beautiful. I'm in tears, remembering my own parents that died in a plane crash 20 years ago this year. I taped the blessing of our first baby, and afterward my Daddy asked for the recorder and taped a message to our baby girl. She is now in her 20's, married, and has a 5 month old baby girl of her own. I go back from time to time and listen to that tape, just to hear his voice. I know the feeling. The love. The longing and missing. I know the blessing. Families can be together forever. For this I am so grateful.

    We have a binder in our family, which my sister gave us 11 years ago. It is an advent binder of sorts. It has 24 stories in it. One for each night of December. With each story there comes a scripture with reference to Christ and His life and mission. Also with each story a Christmas Carol. Each night we gather for Family Time before bed, and read the scripture, the story, then sing the Carol. It brings the Spirit of Christmas into our home more fully - even if someone has just been arguing or murmuring or complaining. It erases the bad, and brings in the good. Christmas is special, and I believe it's because it's it infuses the atmosphere of our world with more of the Spirit of CHRIST. Even if an an atheist or agnostic sings Christmas Carols, "just because it's a great song to sing at this time of year and everyone sings them", they are still singing of CHRISTmas. And it infuses the air with the Spirit of CHRIST.

    Thank you for sharing all these great stories. I have your blog bookmarked now and will be reading these great stories all through the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your positive comments. I makes the time I spend looking for and editing stories worth it!

    ReplyDelete