Friday, December 10, 2010

A Coat For Mother

by Tom Baker

It was Christmas time in 1969; I had no idea that this would be the last Christmas we would spend with Mom. This was a very special Christmas for me – you see Mom never owned a new coat that I could remember. Mom was the kind of person who would give you everything she had, and would very seldom buy anything for herself. Mom and Dad had seven mouths to feed, in addition to their own, and lived on a very modest income.

Mom truly had a Christ-like attitude and endured to the end. She’d had polio as a young child. One of her legs was larger than the other. Sometimes she would have trouble walking, but never complained. Mom always treated my friends with kindness and they were always welcome at our house anytime. I remember my good friend Glen coming over and talking with Mom even when I wasn’t at home. Mom was always willing to lend a listening ear. She was a great mentor in that respect; if you ever asked her what she thought, you had to be prepared to listen, because she would tell you. When I was a teenager, Mom would always wait up for me – to talk with me after a date, or if I was just out with friends.

For never having much personal wealth, Mom had a heart of gold. Mom was one of the original founders, of the Head Start Program, in the area where we lived. I remember many times taking Christmas presents and food items to the needy people in the program. Mom would say to me, “This is a good cause and we are doing good things. By the way, you’re driving.”

As I think back on her unselfish acts of giving, watching the expressions of gratitude on the little children’s faces was priceless. So was hearing the heartfelt “Thank you” from needy parents, knowing that this family would have a better Christmas. To me this truly brings the spirit of Christ into Christmas. Mom would always let us know that it was important to be thankful for what you have and never dwell on the things we didn’t have.

Mom’s entire wardrobe consisted of four dresses, four pairs of shoes, a light jacket, and a couple of sweaters. The only jewelry that she had was her wedding ring, a watch, and some costume jewelry.

I decided that I would buy Mom a coat that year, so I took her down to Sears (almost dragged her) to find something for Christmas. As we went past the coat rack, one of the coats on the rack caught Mom’s eye. On a hanger was beautiful long dress coat that buttoned down the front. The blue and gray colors made a charcoal blend. I had to persuade her to try on the coat for fun. She said that we did not have the money to buy the coat. Money was tight and we needed the money we had, just to get by this Christmas. I nodded my head that she was right.

I told her, I would buy the coat and was not going to take “No” for an answer. Trying to convince Mom to let me get the coat for her was a tough job. I don’t remember the price of the coat. Eventually, we left the store with Mom wearing that nice new coat. She agreed that the coat did look good on her. I will ever be grateful for this opportunity, being able to give back just a little. This was the nicest coat that she ever owned.

In February of 1970 Mom passed away at age 42. I remember getting the award trophy for her, from the Head Start Program for valiant service with the program after she passed away. As I reflect back on my mother’s life, it was filled with acts of kindness too numerous to mention. Giving came from her heart, with a willingness to help whenever possible. Little things like a cup of sugar, or a loaf of homemade bread. She had a pure talent to make things from scratch, no cookbook necessary. There was always room to set another place at our dinner table for unexpected guests.

She knew the true meaning of Christmas, giving unselfish gifts from the heart. She was an example to us that, without Christ there would be no Christmas.

Mom left this little motto,
Which is important to follow.
The true place to start,
Is giving from the heart.
Sharing her Christ like love,
Unselfish acts worth thinking of.
Leaving things here on earth,
That still have great worth.
You never know whose lives you’re going to touch

At the pharmacy I go to for my prescriptions, I share the things that I write with my good friends, the pharmacist and his wife. I gave them the story "A Coat for Mother" last week. Monday when I went in I asked Jeff how Nancy liked the story. He said, "She loved It." Standing next to him was his assistant pharmacist, she picked up the copy I left with them and said "I loved this story, too."

The assistant pharmacist continued, “You see my mother passed away this year. I bought her a new coat last Christmas; my mother thought also that it was too expensive. I bought it for her anyway; my mother also had polio as a little girl. Also the date at the bottom of your story November 16th is my mother’s birthday. Thank you this story meant a lot to me.”

It’s a small world after all. You never know whose lives you are going to touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment