Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Least of These

by Richard M. Siddoway

We married in August and settled into a small apartment near the university where both of us went to school. We each had a year until graduation and scrimped and struggled through that autumn quarter. Now Christmas was approaching and we had little money between us to squander on Christmas gifts. We managed to put aside enough money for winter-quarter tuition and books, and that had taken all we had except for rent, utilities, and food.

We walked through the department stores of Salt Lake arm in arm with the confidence of better days ahead. My bride paused before a winter coat, caressing it with her eyes and fingers. Together we looked at the price tag—seventy-five dollars. Tuition for a quarter was eighty-five dollars. We both knew the coat was out of the question. Her coat, seam-split and stained, would have to do another year. But Christmas is a time for dreaming and hoping, and her gaze lingered long upon the coat.

When I received my paycheck on December 20, we paid what bills we owed and discovered we had twenty dollars left for Christmas. Together we found a Christmas tree lot where a stack of broken branches lay. For fifty cents, they let us fill the trunk of our old car with pine boughs. We drove home and wired them together into the semblance of a Christmas tree. With a borrowed string of lights and some handmade ornaments, we created our first Christmas tree.

We agreed to spend no more than five dollars apiece in shopping for each other. While my wife drove the car to do her shopping, I walked the half dozen blocks to the Grand Central drugstore to see how far I could stretch five dollars. After considerable searching, I selected a paperback novel my wife had commented about and a small box of candy. Together they came to $4.75. As I approached the checkout stand, I was met with a long line of shoppers, each trying to pay as quickly as possible and get on with the bustle of the season. No one was smiling.

I waited perhaps half an hour, and only three people were ahead of me in the line when I became aware that the line had ground to a halt. The clerk was having an animated discussion with an elderly customer. He was tall and thin, with an enormous shock of white hair that had been carefully parted and combed. He was wearing a pair of navy blue slacks that ended nearly three inches above his shoes. His plaid shirt was missing a button, and the sleeves of the shirt protruded two or three inches past the sleeves of his light jacket. He had an ancient leather wallet in his hand.

“Sir,” barked the clerk, “the price of insulin has gone up. I’m sorry, but we have no control over that. You need four more dollars.”

“But it has been the same price ever since my wife started taking it. I have no more money. She needs the medication.” The man’s neck was turning red and he was obviously uncomfortable with the situation. “I must have the insulin. I must.”

The clerk shook her head. “I’m sorry, sir, but I have no control over the prices. You need four more dollars.”

The woman immediately ahead of me in line began to mutter under her breath. She had other purchases to make and resented this clot in the artery of Christmas shopping. “Hurry up, hurry up,” she whispered loudly.

“Please let me take the insulin and I will bring you back the four dollars,” pleaded our elderly friend. The clerk was adamant; he had to pay before he got the medicine.

The man standing behind him put a hand on his shoulder and said, “Come on, pop, you’re holding up the line. Pay the lady and let’s get on with it.”

“I don’t have any more money,” he replied. As he turned to face the man behind him, I saw his face for the first time. He had enormous bushy white eyebrows that seemed out of place on his emaciated face, but complimented the thin, white moustache on his upper lip. “I’ve been buying insulin here for years. Always it has been the same price. Now it’s four dollars more. My wife”—he threw up his hands in despair—“must have it.” He turned back to the clerk.

The lady in front of me grew more agitated. The dozen or so people behind me began craning their necks to see what was holding up the line. Suddenly I stepped out of line, reached into my pocked, withdrew my wallet, and handed five dollars to the old man. “Merry Christmas,” I said.

He hesitated a moment, then his blue eyes grew moist as he took the money. “God bless you, my son.”

I tuned and walked back into the store aisles. I counted the money I had remaining in my wallet—four dollars. I replaced the box of candy on the shelf and got back into line to pay for the novel. The line moved slowly, but at last I made my purchase.

Snow was falling in soft, white, feathery flakes as I walked up the hill toward our apartment. The lights from the city reflected from the clouds above and gave a glow to my surroundings that matched the glow I felt inside. I turned in our driveway and saw an envelope stuck in our screen door. I removed it and found written on the front of the envelope simply, “Matthew 25:40.”

I opened the door, stepped inside, and turned on the light. I ripped open the end of the envelope and withdrew a hundred-dollar bill. There was no other message. With wonder, I folded the envelope and stuffed it in my pocket as I heard my wife drive in. She brought in her sack of purchases and shooed me out of our apartment while she did her wrapping.

It was only after I had driven to the department stored and purchased the winter coat for my wife that I took time to get out my Bible and read the scripture written on the envelope: “Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

To this day, I have no idea who blessed our lives that Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment