Friday, December 4, 2009

A New Love

Author Unknown

The wind blew, the shutters rattled against their wooden frames, and the only thing that kept Gustavo from freezing was his thin overcoat. There was no fire in the fireplace, no food in the cupboards, and in his heart was the greatest emptiness of all.

His wife, Gracia, had died not more than two months ago, and as he sat in his dark living room holding an ornate gold frame containing her picture, a single tear streamed down his cheek.

What's to be had in Christmas without my love? he questioned. I can't live without her. I don't want to live anymore.

They had no children. That was something that was simply not meant to be. Gracia had wanted many children, but she was a cripple, and for that and other medical reasons, having children was impossible. Now with her gone, all that he held dear, and all that meant anything to him had also left.

It's Christmastime again. Oh, how I miss her. Oh, how I wish she were here with me. My life is empty and meaningless, and I pray that I can die. Sobs wracked his elderly frame as he dropped the picture to the table and buried his head in his hands. God, if You're there, if You really died for me those many years ago, please show Yourself to me. Send me Gracia, send me love, send me happiness or I will end it all!

Looking up and wiping his tear stained face, he peered out the window of his dark home into the city square. There were lights around the tree in the center of town. People were busily doing their last minute shopping and party preparations; there were carolers and musicians singing, and everyone looked so happy.

Maybe just going out and walking amongst happy folk will rub off on me. Gustavo thought. He grabbed his scarf and gloves, and walked out toward the center square.

* * * * *

"Mommy, I'm so cold and hungry," said Christina as she cuddled up to her mommy, who held her close.

"I know you are, dear. But last night, when I prayed, I heard the line, 'He will always care for His own.' God is going to provide for us. How about we warm up by walking around?"

Linda was tall and slender. Her long, black, wavy hair was held back with a clip. Her soft, olive skin was a beautiful complement to her almond colored eyes. She wore a white sweater over a long, navy blue skirt.

Christina and her mother Linda were alone. Linda's husband Hanzo had died three years ago, leaving Linda and their two year old daughter with a small house and some savings, but those only lasted for two years, and this last year, Linda made ends meet by selling embroidered works and working as a maid.

Combing Christina's beautiful brown hair reminded Linda of her dear husband who had died, and she started to cry. Dear God, please give us someone who will help us, take care of us, and who will take care of Christina when I die. Linda knew that her time was coming to a close: The cough she'd had for several months now was getting worse and she was feeling weaker. She was hiding the coughs from Christina as best she could, and tried to be as brave as possible, but her heart was breaking for her lovely little girl who would soon need someone to care for her.

"Come, let's go." They stepped out into the street. From where they stood they could hear music, and they wanted to see all the merriment, but right in front of their door sat a crumpled old man, who'd obviously been mugged and left for dead. Linda rushed to his side, then called out to her daughter, "Run inside, dear, and grab me a blanket and some towels!"

The old man moaned as they nursed his wounds and wiped his cuts clean. Cough, cough, cough! This was not the old man coughing, but Linda, who could feel her lungs would not hold much longer. Linda had been in nursing school for a time, and while she hadn't been able to complete her studies, she'd learned enough to know that she had tuberculosis, and that it was advancing much quicker than she'd hoped and prayed for.

"Dear, I think we will have to forgo watching the lights. We need to get this poor man to the hospital!" Christina nodded in agreement, and they struggled to get him to his feet. "Come on, sir. We need to help you to your feet!" Linda gasped, as she struggled to get the old man to his knees before attempting to lift him.

Again the old man moaned, but seemed unconscious.

"I don't think we can do this alone," Linda said. "Come, let's try to find help."

Running down the alley and into the busy main street they went, looking for someone, anyone who could help them to save the old man.

Crash! Christina had bumped into someone who was holding a large, glass vase and it went shattering to the ground. An elegantly dressed elderly woman, with silver white hair pulled back in a bun, big, blue eyes, and wearing a fur coat, first appeared startled, then, noticing that Christina was on the ground, she reached to help her and asked where she'd been going in such a hurry.

"Christina!" Linda called out. "Was I running too fast?"

"Is this girl with you, ma'am?" the woman asked.

"Yes, I'm so sorry! We found an unconscious man outside our home, but we couldn't carry him to a doctor, so we are looking for help!"

"Well! I'll say! I can help you. Where is the man? I can take you back in my car."

A few moments later they were all by the unnamed man lying by the side of the road.

"Sir? Sir? Are you able to hear me, sir?" the elderly woman (who'd introduced herself as Katrina) asked.

"Uh yes. Where am I?" the man moaned.

"You're on Mariana Street. These two young ladies found you, and in an odd manner found me as well. We need to get you to a hospital. What's your name?"

"Gustavo. I live not far away. I was on my way to listen to the carolers when I was hit on the head from behind. I guess when they saw I had no money, they gave me a thrashing and left me here to die."

"Well, those nasty brigands will get a thrashing themselves someday. I'm sure!" Katrina said, as she and Linda walked Gustavo to the car.

Cough! Cough! Cough! Covering her mouth and wheezing into a kerchief, Linda was coughing harder than she had in a long time. It must be the excitement and the exertion, she thought. Oh God, help me to last through Christmas, for Christina's sake.

"Mommy? Are you okay?"

"Yes, dear, I'm going to be all right."

Gustavo and Katrina stood beside Linda. No matter how bad Gustavo's bumps and bruises were, it was clear to all that Linda was the one more in need of a doctor.

Linda rose to her feet and, seeing the others' faces, she said, "I'm okay. Really, I'm okay!"

Katrina, ignoring her protests, placed her hand on Linda's forehead. "You're burning up! We're taking you in, too."

"But I don't have the money for a doctor."

"Nonsense and rubbish, I say! I'm going to see to it that you receive the care you deserve."

At the hospital, Katrina climbed out of the car and led the others to the director's office.

"Linda and Gustavo, meet my brother, Emilio. He and I own this hospital, so you'll be under excellent care here. Now, I must rush off, but I'll be back in an hour. Emilio, don't listen to this young lady's protests just get her a bed and see to it that she stays there!"

In the hours and days that followed as Gustavo's wounds were nursed and healed, he and Katrina found in each other the replacement of their lost loves (for Katrina had also lost her husband to heart failure, and just that day had prayed the same prayer that Gustavo had, asking God to turn her life around). In helping another, she'd found the greatest gift of all: the realization that God does answer prayer. In seeking the happiness of another, she'd found some for herself too. In helping someone, in doing what she could, she'd received so much more than she could have imagined.

For her part, Linda started on the road to a full recovery. Although she felt bad in a way that she wasn't able to pay for her treatment, her new friend Katrina insisted that she be given the best possible care, and continually expressed how happy and thankful she was to have gotten to know her and Christina.

Cling! Cling! Cling! Katrina tapped on her glass as Gustavo stood up to address those at the table in Katrina's dining room, which had a Christmas tree in the corner that Christina, with the oversight of Linda, had decorated, under which were presents for all. At the table were seated Katrina and Emilio, and their acquaintances and friends, including Gustavo, Linda, and Christina.

"Dear friends and loved ones," Gustavo began, "as you know, a few weeks ago, I was found beaten on the side of the road. Linda, her beautiful daughter Christina, and Katrina came to my aid. What you don't know is that on that same night I had prayed and asked God to send me love and a reason to live, or I would end it all.

"I was unjust in asking for a gift on His birthday, but I see now that He is love and He gives love all the time. He took away my wife, but in return He gave me another to replace that empty space in my heart. In return, I promise to commit, from this day on, my time and energy to helping others in the way that I was helped. While the means He used were different and strange, they were what I needed to show me the true meaning of life!

"Merry Christmas, and happy birthday to You, Jesus!"

Everyone joined in Gustavo's toast, replying, "Merry Christmas!"

It truly was a happy Christmas. God loves each one and He looks for any heart that is open and willing for a miracle! Miracles can happen, and they do, especially at Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment