Sunday, November 1, 2009

Santa’s Helper

by Tom Baker

People sometimes ask, "What was your favorite Christmas?" "Did you get a present that you will never forget?" Looking back I can truly say, a great lesson can also be a gift of priceless value. I still remember when I was young, Mom and Dad would take us to town to look at all the neat things that were in the stores, and to see Santa Claus. It seemed as if there was a Santa on every corner and in every department store. I remember asking Mom, "Which one is the real Santa, Mom?"

She said, "These are Santa’s helpers, he can’t be everywhere at the same time. Santa is very busy this time of year. He is still probably at the North Pole getting ready for his long journey."

Then she said, "Do you know that Santa’s helpers are special people, and know how to keep Christmas secrets? Someday you might get the opportunity to be one of his special helpers." I wasn’t quite sure about wearing a red suit and having a snow white beard. Mom always had a way of saying things that made you stop and think, communication was one of her specialties. It was one of her many talents, which she was born with, and developed. Mom and Dad taught us to be thankful for what you receive. We never had big Christmas’s with each child receiving lots of presents. Instead we had special Christmas’s with one or two presents.

Finally the time came when Mom said, "This year you get to be one of Santa’s helpers." I was so excited this year would be my best Christmas yet. Mom said, "Remember Santa’s helpers know how to keep Christmas secrets." It was Christmas Eve, December 1966 I had just graduated from high school, earlier that year. We were living in Ogden, Utah. My brother, Don was serving our country in Viet Nam, spending Christmas Eve in a fox hole along with other Marines.

I had just started working at the Defense Depot in Ogden labeling boxes with clothing and supplies which were going to Viet Nam. Being the oldest sibling at home, Mom and Dad decided that this year I could be Santa’s helper. My younger brothers and sisters knew that I got to be Santa’s helper, which they felt was down right unfair.

They thought that one of them should be able to stay up and help too, especially the older ones. After a short discussion Mom & Dad let them know that someday they might each be able to have the same opportunity.
After my younger siblings had gone to bed, Mom & Dad let me help. To be one of Santa’s helpers is quite an honor. It is more than filling stocking and placing presents on a couch, or in a chair, with a name on it. After I had finished helping I went to bed and could not sleep. I was so excited anticipating the next morning and seeing the expressions on the faces of my younger siblings.

For some reason my Sister, Marilyn woke up very early about 3:00 AM. She noticed that I wasn’t asleep, so she came into my room and we started talking. She wanted to know what it was like to be Santa’s helper. I somehow got caught up in the moment and started sharing some of Santa’s secrets. She was the next oldest, it would soon be her turn. We talked about putting out the presents and filling the stocking. She wanted to know some of Santa’s Christmas secrets. I told her that she couldn’t tell anyone about what our younger siblings were getting from Santa for Christmas. She said, "Ok, please tell about just a few gifts." The problem was that once you start it’s hard to stop. As the excitement grew in our conversation, and the questions kept coming it was hard to say, I just can’t tell you, to someone that is very close to you. We ended up talking about a couple things that she was getting.

When it was time for everyone to get up and go to the living room to see the Christmas tree and presents. The rest of my siblings were so excited except for Marilyn. She told Mom & Dad about our early morning conversation, and that she knew about some of the things that she was receiving from Santa. Mom turned to me and said, "You spoiled your sister’s Christmas, for that you don’t deserve any of the gifts that Santa had brought for you, go to your room." For me this was the worst Christmas ever, having betrayed the trust of being one of Santa’s helpers. I don’t remember if Mom & Dad took back the presents that I received. What my Mom said made me feel terrible and taught me a great lesson at the same time, which I will never forget.

From that time on, I vowed if I ever had the opportunity to be one of Santa’s helpers again, I would not make the same mistake. In time I earned back Mom’s and Dad’s trust and did have other opportunities which I have always cherished. That Christmas, the gift I received was a valuable lesson that I will never forget. I knew Mom & Dad loved me. A great lesson was the thing that I needed the most that Christmas. The greatest gift that anyone could give is the gift of love.

I believe in Santa Claus, this true Christmas symbol of giving has lived through the ages. Santa loves all of God’s children, whether rich or poor he loves us just the same. May we all try to give the perfect gift this year, it doesn’t require wrapping.

What it requires is giving of ourselves that perfect Christ-like love, keeping Christ in Christmas. Being Santa’s helper is more than keeping Christmas secrets, it is the act of sharing of that special love.

No comments:

Post a Comment