Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Christmas Blessings

by Elder Robert E. Wells

It was the afternoon of December 24th. All Church employees had been given the day off, but I had some business matters that I wanted to finish, so I was still in my office in the high-rise Church Office Building. Helen and the children were expecting me home for last-minute Christmas preparations before our traditional Christmas Eve dinner and family program.

I was hurrying to finish a long and complicated matter so I could go home when the phone rang. It was President Spencer W. Kimball, the president of the Quorum of the Twelve at that time. All he said was, "Robert, are you busy?"

I felt that he must need me for something so my answer was, "Not at all. What can I do for you?" We had developed a relationship over the years when he had stayed in our home in South America and I had traveled with him and translated for him down there. From time to time, now that I was living in Salt Lake City and working for the Church, he would ask me to drive him somewhere or accompany him to a conference. I was always flattered and happy to have the privilege of serving or helping this great man. His response was as I expected: "Robert, thanks. Could you please meet me by my car?"

I answered, "Yes, of course." He hung up without another word, so I called Helen and explained that there would be a further delay in my arriving home. I hurried down to the parking level. President Kimball had already arrived and was waiting. We got into his car, and as we drove out he explained. "I have a distant relative with a small son in the Primary Children's Hospital and they have asked me to give the boy a blessing, but the father can't be there. Also I have heard of a child from South America who needs a blessing, too. So I thought of asking you to go with me. Is that all right?"

I assured him that it was perfectly all right and that it was both a privilege and an honor to be his junior companion anytime he could use me. After we gave the two blessings that he had mentioned, he suggested, "Robert, I think there must be some Lamanite children here in this hospital who would like a blessing on Christmas Eve. Shall we go find them?" I was fascinated and delighted. I thought, "What a kind thing for this busy servant of Christ to think of doing."

I found myself accompanying President Kimball from nurses' station to nurses' station in that large hospital where we would ask, "Are there any Indian children here? Are there any Latin American or South American children here? Are there any Lamanite children from the islands of the seas? We would like to visit each one and give them a blessing. May we do that, please?" President Kimball was so loving and kind and tender that no one turned him down. The Spirit was with him in a beautiful way.

So we went from room to room and from bed to bed to give blessings. I did the translating when the children spoken only Spanish or Portuguese. I couldn't help much with one young Navajo boy who spoke little English, but it was obvious that he wanted a blessing and that he appreciated the spirit that President Kimball reflected that Christmas Eve.

As we drove back to the Church Office Building several hours later, President Kimball mentioned that his family was waiting for him just as mine was waiting for me. Then he added, "But they will forgive us, I am sure. What better thing could we do than give the gift of blessings of the priesthood on Christmas Eve? Isn't that what the Savior would want us to do?"

I treasure in my memory and in my heart that interlude on a Christmas Eve when this great apostle who would shortly become the President of the Church took some valuable hours away from his dear wife and family so that he could minister to the children in a hospital because that was "what the Savior would want us to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment